How to protect my game server from DDoS attacks?

Description of your first forum.
Ethanthomas

How to protect my game server from DDoS attacks?

Post by Ethanthomas » Tue Jan 13, 2015 3:26 pm

Hello Friends, I want to know about DDoS protection of game servers, how do you protect yours?

charless

Re: How to protect my game server from DDoS attacks?

Post by charless » Mon Jan 19, 2015 3:31 pm

I think Firewall is the key factor.

ellawright355

Post by ellawright355 » Mon Apr 06, 2015 8:43 am

Distributed Denial of Service attack (DDoS) aims at rendering a computer resource either unavailable or with sufficiently crippled user accessibility.

1.Understanding a DDoS Attack
2.Prepare in advance
3.Identify the attack fingerprint
4.Block the rogue Packets
5.Surviving and Cleaning Up

Madison

Post by Madison » Wed Nov 17, 2021 5:07 am

A DDoS assault can be avoided by making a few simple hardware setup adjustments. You may set your firewall or router to drop incoming ICMP packets or prevent DNS replies from outside your network, for example (by blocking UDP port 53).

genesisadams936

Post by genesisadams936 » Mon Dec 27, 2021 4:19 am

Consider applying the following best practises to improve the security of your gaming servers. These safeguards include utilising unique GameLift capabilities and implementing a set of AWS Best Practices for DDoS Resiliency to secure your GameLift-hosted gaming servers.
1. Make your game available in several areas.
Deploying your game server in several areas adds redundancy, making it more difficult for an attacker to bring the entire game down globally. 
2. Disperse players across many instances.
You may divide player load across many instances when you use Amazon GameLift. In the case that an instance is hacked, this distribution avoids your game from having a complete outage for all players. Setting the minimum capacity of your fleet to two or more instances guarantees that only a small percentage of your players will be affected if one of the instances fails.
3. Select a sufficiently enough instance size with extra capacity to handle harmful traffic.
Choose an instance type with the size and processing power that best matches your game when constructing an Amazon GameLift fleet of computing resources to host your game servers. To construct your fleet, GameLift supports a variety of AWS instance types, including t2.micro, c3.large, and r3.8xlarge. Compute, memory, storage, and network bandwidth capacity varies per instance type. To figure out which instance type to utilise, put your game server through some realistic stress tests (e.g., connect the maximum number of players to the game server) and make sure it can handle the request with some spare capacity. The amount of extra capacity you allow will decide how large an attack your server can withstand without affecting the gamers.